Ahmedabad, also known as Amdavad, is the largest city in the state of Gujarat in western India. The city has a rich cultural heritage and a thriving economy, making it a great place to live. Ahmedabad has been ranked as the 3rd best city to live in India, according to a recent survey. In this article, we will explore the reasons behind Ahmedabad’s ranking and what makes it a great place to live.
Quality of Life:
Ahmedabad boasts a high quality of life, which is evident from its low crime rate and excellent healthcare facilities. According to the National Crime Records Bureau, Ahmedabad has one of the lowest crime rates among major Indian cities. The city also has a large number of well-equipped hospitals and clinics, making it a hub for medical tourism.
In addition, Ahmedabad has a high standard of education, with several reputed schools and colleges. The city is home to the Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad (IIMA), one of the top business schools in the country. The city also has several other premier educational institutions, including the National Institute of Design, Gujarat Technological University, and Gujarat University.
Compared to other cities in India, Ahmedabad has affordable housing options. The city offers a range of housing options, from apartments to villas, which are available at reasonable prices. According to a report by Square Yards, a real estate platform, the average property price in Ahmedabad is INR 3,600 per square foot, which is much lower than cities like Mumbai and Delhi.
Rich Culture and Heritage:
Ahmedabad is known for its rich culture and heritage. The city has several historical landmarks, such as the Sabarmati Ashram and the Adalaj Stepwell, which attract tourists from around the world. The Sabarmati Ashram was the residence of Mahatma Gandhi during the Indian independence movement and is now a museum dedicated to his life and teachings. The Adalaj Stepwell is an architectural wonder, known for its intricate carvings and design.
The city is also famous for its textiles and handicrafts, which are sold in local markets. The city’s textile industry dates back to the 19th century and is one of the largest in the country. The city is particularly famous for its handloom textiles, such as the Patola sarees, which are made using a traditional double ikat technique.
Thriving Business Environment:
Ahmedabad has a thriving business environment, with a growing number of startups and established companies. The city has a large workforce, with many young and skilled professionals. The government has also taken several steps to promote entrepreneurship, making it easier for businesses to thrive in Ahmedabad.
The city is home to several major industries, including textiles, chemicals, and pharmaceuticals. According to the Gujarat Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Ahmedabad contributes 16% to the state’s GDP and is one of the fastest-growing cities in the country.
Vibrant Food Culture:
Ahmedabad is a food lover’s paradise, with a vibrant food culture. The city is famous for its street food, such as dhokla, khandvi, and fafda. These dishes are made using traditional Gujarati ingredients and cooking techniques and are a must-try for anyone visiting the city. The city also has several fine dining restaurants that offer a range of cuisines.
Statistics to Justify Ahmedabad’s Ranking:
- Quality of Life: According to the 2019 Mercer Quality as the 23rd best city in India for quality of living. The city’s low crime rate and excellent healthcare facilities contribute to its high ranking.
- Affordable Housing: According to data from the National Housing Bank, Ahmedabad had the second-highest percentage of affordable housing in the country in 2020. Around 82% of the city’s housing supply falls under the affordable category, making it an attractive option for those looking to buy or rent a home.
- Rich Culture and Heritage: According to the Gujarat Tourism Department, Ahmedabad attracts over 2.5 million tourists annually, making it one of the most visited cities in the country. The city’s historical landmarks, museums, and local markets contribute to its rich cultural heritage and make it an attractive destination for tourists.
- Thriving Business Environment: According to a report by the Confederation of Indian Industry, Ahmedabad is the fourth-best city in India for business. The city has a well-developed infrastructure and a supportive government, which makes it easier for businesses to establish themselves and grow.
- Vibrant Food Culture: Ahmedabad’s food culture has gained recognition across the country and beyond. In 2019, the city was declared as India’s first UNESCO World Heritage City of Food. The city’s street food is particularly famous and attracts food enthusiasts from all over.
In conclusion, Ahmedabad’s ranking as the 3rd best city to live in India is well-deserved. The city’s quality of life, affordable housing, rich culture and heritage, thriving business environment, and vibrant food culture make it a great place to live for people of all ages and backgrounds. The city’s infrastructure, supportive government, and growing economy also make it an attractive destination for businesses and entrepreneurs. If you are looking for a city that combines culture, affordability, and opportunity, Ahmedabad should definitely be on your list.